On 26.06.2022, the Railway Museum Darmstadt Kranichstein was able to record a new acquisition. A long time ago, a rare Güldner Hydrocar TK motor transport cart from the DPD depot in Raunheim, which had been in use there for many years, was transferred to the railway museum. Initially, it was lent to the Griesheim Tractor Veterans Club for maintenance due to a lack of space. The colleagues of the TVC took care of the vehicle with expertise and love and kept it in working order.
Now there was a shortage of space there too, but a suitable storage facility could now be found in the museum and so the rare piece was put there where it will be available for future presentations.
Such motorised trolleys from various manufacturers used to be available in large numbers in factories, and they were also indispensable for goods handling on the railways. In East Germany, they were developed into the Multicar that is still manufactured today.
The Güldner company found a technically remarkable solution with the Hydrocar. Here, the driver sits on a riding seat and steers the vehicle with a steering lever and a lever for forward and reverse travel. As the name suggests, the vehicle has no mechanical transmission but a continuously variable, hydraulic power transmission. This was remarkable for 1955.
The original version was soon further developed by Güldner to a conventional look. Now there was a steering wheel, transverse seats for driver and attendant and a rounded front fairing. The hydrocar of the first version is very rare today and even rarer to see in working order.
In the future, the “Güldi” and matching trailers will be used in the railway museum to depict the freight handling scenes that were typical of the railway in the past. The cargo could consist of milk churns, wooden crates, pieces of luggage, etc..
This could also be used to show an area of railway history that has almost been forgotten today.
Technical details: Built in 1956, 6 hp Güldner diesel engine type LK, 18 km/h, payload 2000 kg.