We cordially invite you to this year’s Bahnwelttage on the grounds of the Railway Museum Darmstadt-Kranichstein. On Ascension Day (18.05.2023) and the following weekend (20. and 21.05.2023) the Railway Museum will be open with a large additional program of demonstrations, exhibitions and attractions for young and old around the railroad. In addition to the exhibitions to be visited, historic vehicles will be demonstrated in operation and there will be the opportunity to ride on historic museum trains across the extensive grounds of the Railway Museum.
The following vehicles will be in operation: 23 042, 141 228, VL12, V62, Wismar rail bus, KLV-12 motorized railcar, Jung tractor, Kö 1002, Kö 3504, Köf 6748, rail Unimog
In addition to our own vehicles, one or the other guest vehicle will also enrich the vehicle presentation this year. Already confirmed are the 52 4867 of Historische Eisenbahn Frankfurt (Sat.+Sun. only), a VT98 set of Pfalzbahn GmbH and the V100 1357 of EFM. Further vehicles are still in planning.
We are looking forward to your visit!
Around the locomotive shed:
- Cab rides on a steam or diesel locomotive (23 042, V100), possibly electric locomotive (small additional fee, see opening hours & prices)
- Ride in the rail master trolley with VW Beetle engine or the Wismar rail bus (small additional fee, see opening hours & prices).
- Demonstration of various locomotives and other traction units on the turntable
- Vehicle exhibition
- Forging demonstration with air hammer use
- Demonstration of a Zagro maneuvering device with forklift drive
- Demonstration of combined road + rail transport on the basis of a Culemeyer road scooter
- Souvenir and antique sale in the locomotive shed and cafeteria
- Model railway layout of the Modelspoorclub Alkmaar (twin town of Darmstadt)
- Exhibition: “Fascination Matches” – models of exhibits of the railroad world, made of thousands of matches (only Sat. and Sun.)
- Special exhibition: Refurbishment of the 98 727 “Zuckersusi
- Barbecue stand and sale of drinks
Rides program and exhibitions in the area of the carriage plant:
- Journey through the Kranichstein marshalling yard in the historic museum train consisting of period-style blunderbusses pulled by various locomotives with explanation of the history, function and future of the marshalling yard
- Exhibition of various train sets (including express train of the Federal Railway, private railroad late era).
Special tours (starting from the information desk):
- Tour of the driver’s cab of various electric locomotives
- The technology of a cogwheel steam locomotive with a tour from below
In and around the exhibition buildings:
- Superstructure exhibition
- Model railroad layout of the Main-Neckar station Darmstadt at Steubenplatz around 1846
- Uniform exhibition
- Sale of coffee and cakes in the cafeteria
- Ice cream cart
For our little guests:
- “Klein-Kranichsteiner Kreisbahn” (5-inch steam train with passenger transportation).
- Children’s land with large bouncy castle and ball pool
Opening hours & Prices
|Thurs., 18.05.2023:||10.00 – 18.00|
|Sat., 20.05.2023:||10.00 – 18.00|
|Sun., 21.05.2023:||10.00 – 18.00|
Box office closes at 4 p.m. on all event days.
Entrance to the Railway Museum
|Children (4-14 y.):||5,00 Euro|
|Families (2 adults + max. 3 children):||25,00 Euro|
The entrance fee includes a ride on the historic museum train through the marshalling yard and, for children, an additional ride on the “Klein-Kranichsteiner Kreisbahn” (5-inch garden train).
Every other ride on the historic museum trains:
|Children (4-14 y.):||2,50 Euro|
Ride in the driver’s cab of a steam or diesel locomotive or in the Bahnmeistereidraisine/Wismar rail bus: € 5.00 per person
The event will take place on the premises of the Railway Museum Darmstadt-Kranichstein. All important information on how to get there can be found here.
Due to capacity reasons, we are unfortunately not able to offer the feeder service with historic trains from Darmstadt main station this year. We kindly ask you to travel by public transport, as there is only limited parking space available in the vicinity of the railroad museum. Thank you very much!