In june 1954, the Bundesbahn decided to buy four largely standardised electric locomotives. They were the classes: E 10, E 40, E 50 and E 41. As an innovation, the locomotive driver was to be able to sit while working; previously, the work had to be done standing.
Between 1956 and 1971, a total of 451 locomotives of the E 41 series were procured. Initially, the locomotives were painted steel blue (RAL 5011), but after the maximum speed required for an express locomotive was increased to 140 km/h, the paint was changed to chrome oxide green (RAL 6020). Further colour variants were ocean blue-beige, orient red with a “bib”, traffic red and salmon orange-light grey (S-Bahn colours from 1987 to 1998). The locomotive class was nicknamed the “squib” because of the noise characteristic of the electrical switch unit.
Our locomotive was put into service in 1962 and was based in Frankfurt until 1978. In 1968 it was given the new number 141 228-7. After a short stopover in Seelze, it returned to Frankfurt, where it was taken out of service in 2003. It is on loan to us from the DB Museum Nuremberg.
YEAR OF CONSTRUCTION
WITHDRAWAL FROM SERVICE
For better reading, the masculine form is used for personal names and personal nouns on this website. Corresponding terms apply in principle to all genders for the purpose of equal treatment. The abbreviated form of language is for editorial reasons only and does not imply any valuation.
Sie erhalten in Kürze eine E-Mail an die von Ihnen angegebene E-Mail-Adresse. Bitte bestätigen Sie Ihre Newsletteranmeldung über den darin enthaltenen Link.